Wander around the relics of The Bog Mine and try to picture the scene in the 18th century with men busily digging and working the site
Today The Bog is a peaceful rural hamlet but for nearly 200 years it was a busy mining village, home to dozens of families involved in mining lead ore from the rocks underground.
Very little remains of The Bog village which formerly played such an active role in the lead mining industrial history here. Standing here 150 years ago you’d have been in the middle of a working mine, surrounded by noisy steam-powered pumps, towering winding gear and ramshackle buildings. Gangs of miners would be heading to and from their shifts underground while carts were loaded with rock and ore. Lead was the most important mineral mined at The Bog, although barytes was also extracted at the beginning of the twentieth century.
When The Bog Mine closed in 1922, many of the buildings were abandoned and eventually demolished. Gradually nature has reclaimed the derelict landscape and The Bog has become a tranquil hamlet in the Shropshire countryside.
The unusually named Bog Centre, is the old school house and one of last remaining buildings from The Bog Village, demolished in 1972. The Centre is now used as a local visitor facility in the heart of the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and provides a wealth of information about its mining history, its people, and the current work to restore the surrounding landscape.
Parking is available at the nearby Bog car park.