Join today and help support your Country Parks, Heritage Sites and local Rights of Way!
Join us to get exclusive discounts on outdoor activities and equipment and great food and drink.
Shropshire’s Great Outdoors membership scheme now offers discounts at the following:
- Theatre Severn and the Old Market Hall– Great Outdoor members can now benefit from the same discount as Friends of the Theatre at Theatre Severn and the Old Market Hall- that’s 10% off many of the theatre performances and cinema showings. Friends discounts are indicated by a blue symbol in their brochure and by ‘FRIENDS 10% OFF’ on each event page online. Discount is applicable to max. 2 persons. Excludes Venue Hire events, discounts at the Café Bar or events where Friends discount is not indicated
- Dave Mellor Cycles– Dave Mellor Cycles in Shrewsbury are now offering a 10% discount to all members. This excludes sale products and labour and cannot to be used in conjunction with other offers like Cycle to Work.
- The Long Mountain Centre– The Long Mountain Centre between Welshpool and Shrewsbury, offers members 10% discount on all pony trekking adventures.
- High Sports– High Sports in Shrewsbury are offering 10% discounts on their clothing and equipment (excluding books and sale items).
- The Boathouse, Ellesmere- The Boathouse serves great quality food and drink, 10% discount available on Monday to Fridays only
- The Wardens Bungalow, Ellesmere- Get a discount on booking the Community Room at The Wardens Bungalow over looking The Mere at Ellesmere. Members rate £12/ hour compared to £14/ hour normally.
- The Severn Valley Country Park, Alveley, Nr. Bridgnorth- Severn Valley Country Park has a café with a great view- 10% discount is available on food and drink at the café
- Serenity – Sports and Holistic Massage Therapies – Based in Bishops Castle, Serenity offers a range of treatments including Sports Massage; Swedish Body Massage; Indian Head; Warm Bamboo Massage; Ayurvedic Facial Massage; Meditation Massage and Reiki. Group mobile bookings are also available within a 5 mile radius of Bishops Castle. SGO members can receive 10% discount on any treatment booked. The perfect treat for weary feet.
Please contact the businesses directly and make sure you take your membership card along with you.
Discounts on events at Severn Valley Country Park
10% discounts off the rates below are available for members for the following events:
- February 3rd Mindfulness and Meditation: What’s it all about?- £7.50 per person
- February 8th Talk: The Work of Cuan Wildlife Rescue– £3.00 per person
- February 18th Family Star-Gazing Night at Severn Valley Country Park – £8.00
More talks will be added when confirmed.
Shropshire’s Great Outdoors Membership Scheme.
Perfect for dog-walkers, those who ride horses, cycle or if you just enjoy getting out and about in Shropshire’s Great Outdoors, the membership scheme offers other perks including free parking at the Severn Valley Country Park and The Mere at Ellesmere, discounts for businesses and events, as described above and being first to hear about news and offers.
From just £3 a month, you will be supporting some of Shropshire’s most iconic, accessible and interesting countryside sites and helping people enjoy our Great Outdoors. Funding will help improve habitat management, encourage wildlife to flourish and look after historic monuments.
Membership categories are:
- Individual- £36/ year. One vehicle.
- Joint- £46/ year. Two people at the same address and cards for two vehicles.
- Family- £50/year. Two adults plus up to 3 children under 16 years of age and cards for two vehicles.
Please join or to renew membership here.
Or phone us on 01743 255957 or email email@example.com and we’ll contact you to set up your membership.
More about the scheme
- The wonderful outdoor spaces managed by Shropshire Council are important for health and wellbeing, the local economy, wildlife and heritage. The Shropshire’s Great Outdoors Membership Scheme is an entirely voluntary opportunity for those who are passionate about the Country Parks and Heritage Sites to help safeguard them for the future.
- Your contributions will help us continue to manage these sites beyond the minimum level required for health and safety and ensure they are accessible to as many people as possible.
- The statutory responsibility for maintaining Rights of Way remains with the Council and will continue to be funded. The scheme may, however, help with those improvements that are beyond the statutory minimum, such as development of promoted routes like the Shropshire Way, and replacing stiles with gates or resurfacing to a higher standard to improve access for those who are less mobile.
- The priorities for the management of Rights of Way and access to our outdoor spaces are shown in the Countryside Access Strategy, which is due to be rewritten next year, when we will be consulting local people on the priorities for the next 10 years. The delivery of this strategy is guided by Shropshire’s Great Outdoor Strategy Board, which advises the Council. Contributions to this scheme will help meet those priorities.
- More details about the work of the Outdoor Partnerships Team can be found in our annual reports.
Terms and Conditions
Please read these before signing up to join the scheme. Doing so will be taken as agreement to these Terms and Conditions.
Membership of the Shropshire’s Great Outdoors Membership Scheme is £36/ year for individuals from the date of payment for 12 months from the 1st of the month following payment.
Joint membership is £46/ year and will include membership cards for two vehicles.
Family membership is £50/ year and will include membership cards for two vehicles.
For those paying annually, you will be contacted in the month prior to renewal to renew your membership. The expiry date will be shown on the membership card.
For those paying by Direct Debit and annual membership card will be issued at 12 month intervals from the 1st of the month following the initial payment. If you stop the Direct Debit you agree to return your current membership card immediately.
Membership entitles you to free car parking at The Moors and Castlefields car parks at The Mere at Ellesmere, the car park at Severn Valley Country Park and to other parking at Countryside Heritage Sites where charging applies in the future. It does not entitle you to free car parking at any other Shropshire Council managed car parks.
The membership card must be displayed clearly in the windscreen of the car when it is parked at Severn Valley Country Park or The Mere, with the car registration number and expiry date showing. The registration number on the card must be the same as that of the car parked to be eligible.
Cars parked in these car parks are done so at the owners risk.
Membership of the scheme only applies to the vehicles registered with us at the time of application. One vehicle for the individual membership, two for joint and family memberships. Please let us know if you change your vehicle within the duration of the scheme and we will issue a new membership card.
Membership cards must be shown to the businesses involved to be eligible for the discounts described above.
The Family Friendly walks booklet will be supplied whilst stocks last on a first come, first served basis.
Members will automatically be registered to receive the e-newsletter providing a valid email address is supplied. If you do not want to receive this newsletter please let us know.
The Shropshire’s Great Outdoors logo and identity should not be used for any other purpose unless by permission of Shropshire Council.