Join today and help support your Country Parks, Heritage Sites and local Rights of Way!
We have launched a new membership scheme in a bid to secure the future of the Shropshire Council managed Country Parks and Heritage Sites.
Perfect for dog-walkers, those who ride horses, cycle or if you just enjoy walking, the new Shropshire’s Great Outdoors membership scheme offers perks including free parking, invites to member exclusive events and being first to hear about news and offers.
For £3 a month, you will be supporting some of Shropshire’s most iconic, accessible and interesting countryside sites and helping people enjoy our Great Outdoors. Funding will help improve habitat management, encourage wildlife to flourish and look after historic monuments.
Please join here.
Or phone us on 01743 255957 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll contact you to set up your membership.
Stuart West, Shropshire Council Cabinet member for Leisure and Culture, said:
“Shropshire Council asked residents earlier this year how they would like us to prioritise the way we spend our budget. Following this conversation it was clear that we needed to find new ways of ensuring the future of our Country Parks, Heritage Sites and Rights of Way.
“We want to work with people to protect the future of our countryside and The Great Outdoors Membership Scheme is a fantastic, and affordable, way of doing just that.”
More about the scheme
- The wonderful outdoor spaces managed by Shropshire Council are important for health and wellbeing, the local economy, wildlife and heritage. The Shropshire’s Great Outdoors Membership Scheme is an entirely voluntary opportunity for those who are passionate about the Country Parks and Heritage Sites to help safeguard them for the future.
- Your contributions will help us continue to manage these sites beyond the minimum level required for health and safety and ensure they are accessible to as many people as possible.
- The statutory responsibility for maintaining Rights of Way remains with the Council and will continue to be funded. The scheme may, however, help with those improvements that are beyond the statutory minimum, such as development of promoted routes like the Shropshire Way, and replacing stiles with gates or resurfacing to a higher standard to improve access for those who are less mobile.
- The priorities for the management of Rights of Way and access to our outdoor spaces are shown in the Countryside Access Strategy, which is due to be rewritten next year, when we will be consulting local people on the priorities for the next 10 years. The delivery of this strategy is guided by Shropshire’s Local Access Forum, which advises the Council. Contributions to this scheme will help meet those priorities.
- More details about the work of the Outdoor Partnerships Team can be found in our annual reports.
For more information please see our membership scheme leaflet.
Terms and Conditions
Please read these before signing up to join the scheme. Doing so will be taken as agreement to these Terms and Conditions.
Membership of the Shropshire’s Great Outdoors Membership Scheme is £36/ year from the date of payment for 12 months from the 1st of the month following payment.
For those paying annually, you will be contacted in the month prior to renewal to renew your membership. The expiry date will be shown on the membership card.
For those paying by Direct Debit and annual membership card will be issued at 12 month intervals from the 1st of the month following the initial payment. If you stop the Direct Debit you agree to return your current membership card immediately.
Membership entitles you to free car parking at The Moors and Castlefields car parks at The Mere at Ellesmere, the car park at Severn Valley Country Park and to other parking at Countryside Heritage Sites where charging applies in the future. It does not entitle you to free car parking at any other Shropshire Council managed car parks.
The membership card must be displayed clearly in the windscreen of the car when it is parked, with the car registration number and expiry date showing. The registration number on the card must be the same as that of the car parked to be eligible.
Cars parked in these car parks are done so at the owners risk.
Membership of the scheme only applies to one vehicle which much be registered with us at the time of application. Please let us know if you change your vehicle within the duration of the scheme and we will issue a new membership card.
Membership cards must be shown to take part in the special events. Members can bring a guest with them and young people under the age of 16 can attend with a member free of charge.
The Family Friendly walks booklet will be supplied whilst stocks last on a first come, first served basis.
Members will automatically be registered to receive the e-newsletter providing a valid email address is supplied. If you do not want to receive this newsletter please let us know.
The Shropshire’s Great Outdoors logo and identity should not be used for any other purpose unless by permission of Shropshire Council.