A fantastic 19 mile circular cycle route taking in beautiful countryside and pretty villages including the canalside village of Audlem. This route is suitable for more experienced cyclists, following roads that can be busy at times and offers an option to use the towpath to enter Audlem.

Distance

20 miles

Terrain

Quiet lanes and country roads

Start from

Market Drayton Town Centre

Nearest to

Market Drayton

Parking

Market Drayton Town Centre

The route

One of four 6-24 miles cycle rides around Market Drayton following quiet lanes and country roads.

Cycling code

  • Always follow the Highway Code
  • Be considerate to other users, and give way to pedestrians and horse riders
  • Take particular care at junctions, when cycling downhill and on loose surfaces
  • Ride in single file on narrow or busy roads
  • Consider wearing a helmet and high visibility clothing

Places of interest:

Market Drayton

A market (so good the town was named after it) has been running in Market Drayton for over 759 years and remains one of the liveliest weekly street markets in the area. Market Drayton is also the home of gingerbread, however, the locals prefer to dunk it in port rather than eat it dry – which may explain why a certain Robert Clive - better known as Clive of India, who was born in Market Drayton – chose to climb the spire of St Mary’s church when he was a boy. The town itself retains much of its medieval street pattern with red sandstone and mellow brick buildings mingling with black and white half-timbered properties; and to add even more character to the town, the Shropshire Union Canal passes just a few hundred yards from the town centre. For more information visit: www.market-drayton.com/InDevelopment/

Norton-in-Hales

Home to St Chad’s church, which dates from the 12th Century, rebuilt in Victorian times. Out on the village green is a great boulder called “Bradling Stone” on which it was the custom to “bradle” or bump any man or boy found still working after noon on Shrove Tuesday.

Audlem

The canalside village is home to a flight of 15 locks on the Shropshire Union Canal. The locks drop 93ft over 11⁄2 miles. The canalside pub, the “Shroppie Fly”, is named after the flyboats, fast horse-drawn passenger waterbuses used in the canal’s heyday.

Shavington Park

Established in 1685, the parkland (and some buildings) still remains but sadly the grand hall was demolished in 1958.

Moreton Say

Home to St Margaret’s Church built in 1200. To the right hand side of the front door is a tablet reading “Robert Lord Clive 1725-1774 founder of the British Empire in India, baptized and buried in this church”.