The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a series of over 13,000 miles of walking and cycling routes across the UK. Traffic-free paths and quiet roads connect to provide short local connecting routes, leisure rides and long distance cycle touring routes.
There are five NCN routes in Shropshire, these provide links between towns across most of the county:
- Six Castles Cycleway (NCN Route 44): Shrewsbury – Ludlow – Leominster
- Mercian Way (NCN Route 45): Whitchurch – Shrewsbury – Ironbridge – Bewdley
- Lon Cambria (NCN Route 81): Welshpool – Shrewsbury – Albrighton
- NCN Route 552: Nantwich – Market Drayton – Newport
- NCN Route 455: Oswestry – Ellesmere – Whitchurch
The UK-wide NCN is co-ordinated by Sustrans. Full details of routes across the country are available on the Sustrans website.